Friday, July 10, 2015

The Vortex in the Woods

Across the street from where I live there is about a ¼ mile stretch of road that leads into a development.  On either side of the road are wooded areas for that ¼ mile.  These woods stretch across for a ways, and the wooded area on the right side has a vortex in it.  I am not sure what purpose the vortex serves, and why it is open on some days and closed on others, but I know it is there. 

During the winter it is really easy to see when the vortex is open.  It reminds me of something out of a Terry Brooks Shanara book, the area will be all sorts of misty rising straight up and obscuring your view deeper into the woods. It is so odd, because on the days when it is closed every branch of every tree or shrub is very pronounced.  You can see through the forest to the other side, where there is a home or building.  When the vortex is open, the area is just grey, the edges of the sleeping trees not so clear.  You cannot see the area where the building is.  In the summer it is not so easy to see because of all the foliage, but when it is closed you can see through to the other side of the wooded area in some spots.  When it is open, all you see is a forest.  In the summer it’s not all misty like in the winter, but the woods are nowhere near as sharp to the sight as they are when it is closed. 

The vortex area is fairly large, maybe 40 or 50 feet wide.  I can’t tell how deep it is because when it is open the area looks like it goes on forever.  In my mind, it seems to be circular.

The wooded area on the left walking from my house doesn’t have a vortex.  Every day I look and it is just plain old woods, stretching deep to the left. 

Perhaps I am using the wrong word here, and it’s not a vortex.  But like a hurricane or a tornado is a vortex. They are not constants, they form and un-form.  I am not sure it’s a magical occurrence but it is a mystical one.  Maybe it’s a portal.  I haven’t been brave enough to just walk into the woods up to the area yet.  Maybe next winter I will enter the area.  In the summer there are too many bugs and ticks in the area for me to just dive on into the woods.  There are no paths through the wooded area either.  A little bit on the outskirts where the deer make their way to the clearing, but nothing that seems to go any deeper than a couple of feet. 

I haven’t noticed any particular goings on when the vortex is open.  It’s not more silent or more noisy, the birds are still chirping and the chipmunks are still running around.  I haven’t seen any UFOs when it is open, but I will keep my eyes out for intergalactic beings.  Yesterday I did see two beautiful baby fawn.  I have noticed that when the deer run back into the forest on the right side, they do not go near the vortex area. 

I am going to try and remember to bring my phone with me when I walk Charlie over there so maybe I can get a picture of this phenomena.  I am also going to start charting when it is open and when it is closed and see if there are any patterns. 


Anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on this?  I’d love to hear them!  Karan@karanangel.com

No comments: